Thursday, June 19, 2008

Limitations (or are they?)

My limitations, either physically or otherwise, serve a greater purpose.

I read the following in ODB:

Julie Ackerman Link writes, “…The Kite; or Pride Must Have a Fall.” (a poem by
John Newton) The kit in Newton’s poem dreamed of being cut free from its
strong: “Were I but free, I’d take a flight, / And pierce the clouds
beyond their sight, / But, ah! Like a poor pris’ner bound, / My string confines
me near the ground.” The kite does finally manage to tug itself free, but
instead of soaring higher in the sky, it crashes into the sea.

The analogy calls me to reconsider some “strings” that make me feel
constrained. Vows. Promises. Commitments. Responsibilities. (my addition: physical ailments) Although such things make me feel tied down, God uses them to hold me up. As James teaches, it is our willingness to be humbled (or held down) that God uses to lift us up (James 4:10).

Before cutting any string, make sure it’s not one that’s holding you up.

So often I wonder, “If only I didn’t have _____________ - to tie me down or slow me down, then I could…” Yet, more and more the LORD shows me and teaches me otherwise. He shows me that these “limitations” are His tools to chisel away at my character in order to conform me into His image. He knows me full well and knows that if I were “free and able” I’d be flapping (see previous post) all over the place, especially the places I have no business flapping.

Because of “my limitations” I can’t and won’t jump on the band-wagon of the next activity just because someone told me, everyone is going, there’s a need (we always feel we need to meet every need, but only God can do that), my friends are going, habit, it’s expected of me, etc. God has shown me and continues to teach me that when HE calls me to “that ctivity/event/ministry” HE absolutely, positively enables me to do it, to the degree that even I am amazed at what was accomplished. And I will be the first to KNOW and acknowledge it was ALL-GOD.

Now let me just add this, “limitations” is only a word I use to make a point. We are never limited in what we can do in and through Christ. He enables us; He equips us; He sets us free. “Limitations” is my human perception or attitude regarding my circumstances or as some would put it “my lot in life”. This thinking is flawed and absolutely not true and can be very depressing.

But praise be to God, who has given us His Word to refute every lie that comes out way.

Isaiah 40:31 – But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their
strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run,
and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

John 8:36 – If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free
indeed.

John 10:10(b) – I am come that they might have life, and
that they might have it more abundantly.

Romans 8:37 – Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.

My words, my attitude, and my perceptions will all, one day, be gone,
forgotten. But God’s Word is TRUE, LIVING, POWERFUL, ETERNAL

Matthew 24:35 – Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.