Monday, October 6, 2008

God Still does Miracles

My friend invited me to a Fundraiser/Dinner on Saturday night. The LORD opened the door for me to be able to go - my hubby kept an eye on Mom and got her dinner, thank you honey.

The fundraiser was for Teen Challenge International. I really didn’t know what to expect, I was just happy to get dressed up and be out – yeah!!! It was at the Riverside Convention Center. When we arrived we were greeted by my friend’s sister and her friend. Because my friend’s sister and friend have been involved with Teen Challenge for a while they were invited to the VIP Gathering prior to the dinner. Each person invited was allowed to bring a guest, so my friend and I got to go. We went upstairs and had snacks and a yummy fruit/citrus punch. There was not much going on, just small talk and food. My feet were hurting with my pumps – I’m just not used to this. It finally came time to go downstairs to the dinner. As we made our way down the stairs I noticed a lot of people gathering at the bottom floor. Some looked dressed up, but there was another group. It was regularly dressed people and people with camouflage. In fact, there seemed to be entire families. Being the observant person that I am, I kept looking all around, trying to figure out all that was happening around me. We were slowly making our way to the room that we were having dinner at, when I finally was able to get a glimpse of what the other room was for. There was a sign that said “Farewell to Our Troops, Godspeed” and it has all the names of those who were being deployed to Iraq. It took my breath away, but before I knew it we were inside partaking of the Fundraiser/Dinner.

As we walked in this huge room there was a choir of 150 young men and women. O my goodness! The sounds of heaven – it was glorious. Keep in mind I still don’t know what this is all about – I’m just following those that invited me, with my mind still somewhat with the troops outside. We finally seat at our table. It was a table of 10. Then I knew what this was about. Teen Challenge is a place for drug addicts to come and get clean and find purpose for their lives. There was testimonies and history of Teen Challenge. At our table there was 6 students of Teen Challenge. One young man was already living on the streets of South Central LA; another has a Dad in jail and now he’s been in jail also, and another, and another, and another…the stories were incredible. I sat there and listened to these stories of victory, these stories of what God, Our God, can do. I was humbled by their enthusiasm and their zeal. Many tears were shed, much to ponder…

Have I forgotten were I’ve come from? Have I forgotten what I’ve seen My God do? Have I chosen to forget those in my life that still need deliverance? God reminded me that He is still a God of miracles. I’ve seen Him work before – I am one of those miracles, why then do I become so business-as-usual when there are lives that need a touch of this Jesus that can do all this and then some. Why do I think that there are impossible-cases for Him to be able to reach and transform? Yes, lots of personal reflection and lots of challenges that were posed to me on this night.

Then I had to go to the restroom. I made my way out and what did I see at the other end of this place, I see families saying good-bye to their loved ones. When I was making my way back into the room that we were gathered in, I stood at the middle ground and thought – what an incredible contrast. Here I go all dressed up into this room filled with joy and blessing, and here they are being torn and separated from the ones they love. As they opened the door to the room I was going into, the choir was singing again – there was such excitement and joy in that place. Before going in I looked back at our troops and their families and wanted to turn and go over to them and say thank you, would you like to come and enjoy some time of worship – wow, what emotions enveloped me. (please don't forget to pray for our troops and their families.)

The night was over. Home again to the routine, but my spirit and soul were far from routine, from business-as-usual. My heart wants to shout “My God is Able!” “My God can do abundantly exceedingly!” “My God is a God of miracles!” “My God is still in the business of transforming lives!” “My God is the same yesterday, today and forever.” O God, may I not put You in a box. May I see Your power and love still at work in our midst. Though the mountains crumble, though the oceans roar, you are God! Though there is uncertainty and chaos, In You there is consistency and peace. God of wonder, full of glory, I worship You, I reverence You.

1 comment:

Laura said...

How wonderful! What a great reminder of God's power and the realities of this life (especially for those of us who live in a bubble). May He be praised!