Friday, May 30, 2008

Perks of being God's Spokesperson

1 Kings 22

v. 6 – Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men…(many who speak what “the people” want to hear. Jeremiah 6:14 …Peace, peace; when there is no peace.)

v. 7 – And Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD besides, that we might inquire of him? (Matthew 22:14, For many are called, but few are chosen.; Matthew 7:14, Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.)

v. 8 - …There is yet one man, Micaiah…but I hate him; for he doth not prophesy good concerning me, but evil…(doesn’t say what I want to hear, so I hate him.)

v. 13 – …the words of the prophets declare good unto the king with one mouth: let thy word, I pray thee, be like the word of one of them, and speak that which is good. (Go with the flow; agree with them; don’t make waves.)

v. 14 – And Micaiah said, As the LORD liveth, what the LORD saith unto me, that will I speak. (It is easy to be God’s mouthpiece when the word you are sharing is patting others on the back, but what about when there is a need for exhortation, for discipline, for confrontation? This is no influencing people, and winning friends.)

The result of being God’s spokesperson:
v. 24 - …Zedekiah…smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?

v. 27 - …Thus saith the king, Put this fellow in the prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction…

Who would say, “Sing me up?”

No comments: