Thursday, April 3, 2008

Quiet Time

The other day at Bible Study someone commented about spending time with the LORD. She mentioned how important it is. The thing that stuck out to me was the fact that “He longs to spend time with us”. The LORD reminded me of the poem/letter that I posted in a previous post. The LORD also reminded me of a tiny, yet powerful little booklet that I have read time and again: Robert Boyd Munger’s “My Heart-Christ’s Home”. There is a section in the booklet that speaks about spending time with the LORD. I read it, made a copy of it and gave it to this sister. The LORD, however, has been bringing it back TO ME again and again. Today as I was reading a totally different book, this book "just happened" to quote from Munger’s booklet, and, of course it just happened to be the section I had copied and given to this sister – here is what it says:

The Living Room

We moved next into the living room. This was a quiet, comfortable room with a warm atmosphere. I liked it. It had a fireplace, sofa, overstuffed chairs, a bookcase and an intimate atmosphere.

He also seemed pleased with it. He said, “Indeed, this is a delightful room. Let’s come here often. It’s secluded and quiet, and we can have good talks and fellowship together.”

Well, naturally, as a young Christian I was thrilled. I couldn’t think of anything I would rather do than have a few minutes alone with Christ in close companionship.

He promised, “I will be here every morning early. Meet me here and we will start the day together.”

So, morning after morning, I would go downstairs to the living room. He would take a book of the Bible from the bookcase, open it, and we would read it together. He would unfold to me the wonder of God’s saving truth recorded on its pages and make my heart sing as he shared all he had done for me and would be to me. Those times together were wonderful. Through the Bible and his Holy Spirit he would talk to me. In prayer I would respond. So our friendship deepened in these quiet times of personal conversation.

However, under the pressure of many responsibilities, little by little, this time began to be shortened. Why, I’m not sure. Somehow I assumed I was just too busy to give special, regular time to be with Christ. This was not a deliberate decision, you understand; it just seemed to happen that way. Eventually not only was the period shortened, but I began to miss days now and then, such as during midterms or finals. Matters of urgency demanding my attention were continually crowding out the quiet times of conversation with Jesus. Often I would miss it two days in a row or more.

One morning, I recall rushing down the steps in a hurry to be on my way to an important appointment.

As I passed the living room, the door was open. Glancing in I saw a fire in the fireplace and Jesus sitting there. Suddenly, in dismay, it came to me, “He is my guest. I invited him into my heart! He has come as my Savior and Friend to live with me. Yet here I am neglecting him.”

I stopped, turned and hesitantly went in. With downcast glance I said, “Master, I’m sorry! Have you been here every morning?”

“Yes,” he said, “I told you I would be here to meet with you.” I was even more ashamed! He had been faithful in spite of my faithlessness. I asked him to forgive me and he did, as he always does when we acknowledge our failures and want to do the right thing.

He said, “The trouble is that you have been thinking of the quiet time, of Bible study and prayer, as a means for your own spiritual growth. This is true, but you have forgotten that this time means something to me also. Remember, I love you. At a great cost I have redeemed you. I value your fellowship. Just to have you look up into my face warms my heart. Don’t neglect this hour if only for my sake. Whether or not you want to be with me, remember I want to be with you. I really love you!”

You know, the truth that Christ wants my fellowship, that he love me, wants me to be with him and waits for me, has done more to transform my quiet time with God than any other single fact. Don’t let Christ wait alone in the living room of your heart, but every day find a time and place when, with the Word of God and in prayer, you may be together with him.


I know it’s long, but powerful. May we know the privilege of communing with the God of the Universe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leti,

Thank you for taking the time to post this. When the Lord puts it on our hearts to share something, we obey and bless others with what He has given us. This is just another confirmation. I need to spend more time with Jesus. He is giving me strength in the midst of alot of resposibilities. His Grace is sufficiant.

Love,
Nettie