Friday, April 25, 2008

Sorrow and Suffering - Part I

I’ve been reading a book called “The Cup and the Glory” by Greg Harris (I’ll tell you more about it later). One of the things he says is, “An additional chapter was added almost two years later when I encountered sorrow’s twin sister, suffering.” Just with this thought, the Holy Spirit reminded me of what I had read long ago about Sorrow and Suffering, two much dreaded, yet faithful and needed companions in our walk with the LORD. With that here is an excerpt of “Hinds’ Feet on High Places”, by Hannah Hurnard

In a very short time they were over the bridge, and had come to the foot of the mountains, where the path began the ascent of the lower slopes. Here great boulders
were scattered all around, and suddenly Much-Afraid saw the figures of two veiled women seated on one of the rocks at the side of the path. As the Shepherd and she came up to that place, the two rose and bowed silently to him.

“Here are the two guides which I promised,” said the Shepherd quietly. “From now
on until you are over the steep and difficult places, they will be your companions and helpers.”

Much-Afraid looked at them fearfully. Certainly they were tall and appeared to be very strong, but why were they veiled? For what reason did they hide their faces? The longer and closer she looked at them, the more she began to dread them. They were so silent, so strong, and so mysterious. Why did they not speak? Why give her no friendly word of greeting?

“Who are they?” she whispered to the Shepherd. “Will you tell me their names, and why don’t they speak to me? Are they dumb?

“No, they are not dumb,” said the Shepherd very quietly, “but they speak a new language, Much-Afraid, a dialect of the mountains which you have not yet learned. But as you travel with them, little by little, you will learn to understand their words.

“They are good teachers; indeed, I have few better. As for their names, I will tell you them in your own language, and later you will learn what they are called in their own tongue. This,” …”is names Sorrow. And the other is her twin sister, Suffering.”

Poor Much-Afraid! Her cheeks blanched and she began to tremble from head to foot. She felt so like fainting that she clung to the Shepherd for support.

“I can’t go with them,” she gasped. “I can’t! I can’t! O my Lord Shepherd, why do you do this to me? How can I travel in their company? It is more than I can bear. You tell me that the mountain way itself is so steep and difficult that I cannot climb it alone. Then why, oh why, must you make Sorrow and Suffering my companions? Couldn’t
you have given Joy and Peace to go with me, to strengthen me and encourage me
and help me on the difficult way? I never thought you would do this to me!” And she bust into tears.

A strange look passed over the Shepherd’s face as he listened to this outburst, then looking at the veiled figures as he spoke, he answered very gently, “Joy and Peace. Are those the companions you would choose for yourself? You remember your promise, to accept the helpers that I would give, because you believed that I would choose the very best possible guides for you. Will you still trust me, Much-Afraid? Will you go with them, or do you wish to turn back to the Valley, and to all your Fearing relatives, to Craven Fear himself?”

Stay tuned to next comments and episode (no I won’t be writing the whole book; there is a point to my madness=;O

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you posted this. I am Much-Afraid, and Sorrow and suffering have been my compainions for awhile. I still don't understand them yet. I still ask God why? Sometimes The Good Shepherd reveals to my in a very clear way. Especially for my own good. They have been the best teachers for me through alot of my circumstances. If you think of me, remember me in your prayers, that I will accept What God has chosen for me.

Love,
Nettie

Remeber JOB.Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Anonymous said...

This morning I read this devotion. It seems as though The Lord is speaking very strong to me throughthis whole suffering word.

Dear Connection Friend,

Recently, some students from a Christian high school in New Zealand were killed when a flash flood swept them down a narrow gorge. Sometimes suffering takes the form of tragedies that affect an entire nation, like this one and the shooting at the church in Colorado last year. Other times, it's closer to home, like a child suffering from a congenital disease, or a marriage falling apart, or a lost job.

At such times, we're tempted to ask, "Why, God?" As Christians, we're not immune from suffering--despite the pat, simplistic answers some Christians give to those going through trials: "You just need to exercise your faith!" "God healed me; he'll heal you!" Maybe He will...or maybe not. Remember the story in Acts 12, when both Peter and James were imprisoned. Peter was delivered, but James was beheaded. So if God chooses not to heal or deliver or protect, the pat answers are inadequate at best.

My simple answer to the question, "Why do Christians suffer?" is "I don't know." But I do know this: People with broken hearts don't need reasons; they need resources. They need someone to help bear the burden, and to walk with them under the load.

That's where you come in, especially if you have suffered in the same way. 2 Corinthians 2:3-4 says, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." God doesn't comfort us just so we can be comfortable. He comforts us so that we can become comforters. So we are to receive God's comfort, and then to give that comfort to others.

How do we do that? As Romans 12:15 says, we should "weep with those who weep." Our example is Jesus--at the gravesite of Lazarus, He knew he would raise His friend a moment later, but still He wept. And we should "bear one another's burdens" (Galatians 6:2). And we should always "pray for one another" (James 5:16). But don't just pray for them. Pray with them.

Right now, I'm sure you know someone who is suffering. Comfort them with the comfort you have received from God. Pray with them. Weep with them. Help them carry the load. They may never know, in this life, why the suffering came. But they will know the love of God as you show them His comfort.

In His strong love,

Skip Heitzig

Love,
Nettie

Leti said...

Nettie - thank you for sharing this. It always amazes me how the Holy Spirit works and speaks to us in a way that we KNOW it's from Him.