Sunday, December 9, 2007

From "Our Daily Bread" - BLUE CHRISTMAS
Isaiah 53:1-6 - Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed? For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of dry ground. He has no form or comeliness; and when we see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him. He is despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely He has borne our griefs an carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten b y God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
A growing number of churches are holding annual Blue Christmas services for those faced with grief and loss. The holiday season's emphasis on happiness and good cheer often makes people who are dealing with heartbreak feel even worse. An Associated Press article quoted a pastor who described the Blue Christmas service as "an opportunity for people to come and be in the presence of God and acknowledge their grief and despair and loneliness and give it to God." One participant added, "And it's a good place to have a cry and no one will mind." During the Christmas season, we often read Isaiah's prophecies of the coming Messiah who would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14) and called "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace" (9:6). But perhaps we should also include the words of Isaiah 53: "He is...a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief...Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows...And by His stripes we are healed" (vv. 3-5). The psalmist reminds us that "[The LORD] heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3). If you're hurting this Christmas, remember: Jesus came to save us, to help us, and to heal us. - David McCasland
Whenever darkness grips your soul and you are tempted to despair, remember Christ's unfailing love, and trust His faithful, tender care. - Sper
Jesus provides an oasis of grace in the desert of grief.

My heart for a while has had this sadness within. I can't really tell you what all it entails, but one thing is simply remembering those loved ones that are no longer with us. There is so many other things that come to my mind, but the Lord put in my heart to do this in remembrance of those whom I love and miss. They were part of my life and I cannot simply go on without thinking and remembering them with a longing in my heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a reality to me. I was wondering if I could copy this and post it on my journal for my family? There has been alot of death in the last two years.

Love,
Nettie

Anonymous said...

P.s. Email me and let me know. Love
Nettie

lulu said...

Ok ,lettuce.....
You just made me cry out loud on this one,but thank you for loving my parents so much..I miss every one so much especially during this time of year.
Love you :)