Tuesday, November 13, 2007

El Shaddai

I watched this video on a friends blog. It so filled my heart with a sense of awe and majesty. To think that the God of the Universe called me by name and has given me the privilege of calling Him "Abba" (Daddy). As I pondered upon this Majestic God that I serve, all I could say is "You are beyond my comprehension and my grasp". Then today when I read "Our Daily Bread", I couldn't help but be in even more wonderment. The Scripture reference is Psalm 8. In verse 3 it says, "When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have ordained, what is man that You are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit him?" Yes, when we consider all the greatness of it all, what are we? Then on the devotional part it said, "In a commencement address to graduating class of Miami University, columnist George Will gave some statistics that help to diminish our sense of self-importance. He pointed out that 'the sun around which Earth orbits is one of perhaps 400 billion stars in the Milky Way, which is a piddling galaxy next door to nothing much.' He added, 'there are perhaps 40 billion galaxies in the still-unfolding universe. If all the stars in the universe were only the size of the head of a pin, they still would fill Miami's Orange Bowl to overflowing more than 3 billion times.' There is a plus side to all that overwhelming data. The God who created and sustains our star-studded cosmos in its incomprehensible vastness loves us. And He doesn't just love the human race as an entity of multiplied billions. He loves us individually. What Paul exclaims to be true about himself is true about each of us in all our insignificance: Christ 'loved me and gave Himself for me' (Gal. 2:20)" When I read this I thought, "this is what I felt when I saw that video." The Lord looks down from heaven and sees ME. Love ME and desires to have fellowship with ME. How good is that! But wait there's more. (I love it when God, by His Holy Spirit, does this. He shows me something then He confirms it or reaffirms it with His word. Then He uses the writings of other saints to bring the point home or to clarify it or to confirm it...I love this about Him.) I read My Utmost and guess what Scripture reference it cited? Galatians 2:20! I love it! There was some sobering thoughts in this devo though (this devotional always exhorts and convicts). It said, "We should battle through our moods, feelings, and emotions into absolute devotion to the Lord Jesus." You know these awful feelings and emotions that just keep us down or get us discouraged. We need to diffuse them by the Word of God. Now think about this, "HE can present us faultless before the throne of God, inexpressibly pure, absolutely righteous, and profoundly justified. Stand in absolute adoring faith in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God - and righteousness and sanctification and redemption...(1 Cor. 1:30). How dare we talk of making a sacrifice for the Son of God! We are saved from Hell and total destruction, and then we talk about making sacrifices!" I told you this devotion totally convicts. Again, imagine the Creator of the Universe reaching down from heaven and desiring fellowship with us. Yes, we should bow in adoration for such grace and mercy showed us by this Holy God. And this devo ends with this, "Our lives should be an absolute hymn of praise resulting from perfect, irrepressible, triumphant belief." Doesn't this last sentence just make you want to grab our weapons (which I might add, are mighty in Christ Jesus) and set the captives free. So yes, Dear Sisters, we are in an incredible war, but let's look at what side we are on and who is our Commander-in-Chief...God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth. He is still on the throne, unwavering, not ruffled by the changing tide and TOTALLY IN CONTROL! Hallelujah! Praise You Jesus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. It feels so good to praise and worship God. it felt good to read this post.

love,
Nettie