Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Joy Is So Fleeting

Okay, so I've realized that my joy doesn't last very long. This morning I thought I was going to have a lazy morning (I can dream can't I). Anyhow, frustration began early, we won't even go there at this point. Then my son asked if I could iron some clothes. As I'm ironing, he asked for a ride - we are in the car now, but the car won't start. It finally started and off we go. When I got home, I figured, "hey, all the ironing stuff is still out. I should do my ironing for the week." (this week I haven't felt all that good, so I'm off schedule). I actually spent a good time ironing and listening to worship music. Done and now on to lunch. So, now I'm off on an adventure to find a gift for our pastor for tomorrow (tomorrow is "Clergy Appreciation Day"). It was as if the Lord told me where and what to get. So I'm off with an expectancy in my heart as to what the Lord was going to do. I arrived at my destination with a spark in my step, and sure enough I found exactly what was in my heart and where the Lord has said. I was so excited. I came out of that store praising the Lord. Then I drove to K-mart for some meds, yet I'm still praising Jesus for His leading. I get home and start bringing down the things I'd purchased, still joyful. I walk in the house to find Mom at the table doing her puzzle (by this time she's normally in her room watching TV). I asked her, "what happened? Why are you still here?" She says, "Oh, well someone kept knocking at the door so I came..." Yes, I did not let her finish her sentence and all the joy had in an instant evaporated. "You didn't open the door did you?" She says, "um, well, it was (my son's) friend and he said that (my son) had said to come and take his baseball glove..." Again, I interrupted with veins popping and eyes bulging. "Don't tell me you let him in?" Sheepish look proceeds and the rest you can imagine - no need to go into detail. Yes, my stomach felt like someone had just kicked me and taken the air out. My jaw clinched and I thought my ears where going to pop. Where was the joy and praise that filled my heart just minutes ago? Out the door, right along with common sense. God help me to hold on to you even in the midst of my weakness...

1 comment:

Laura said...

(sigh)...I know what you mean. That war between the Spirit and flesh is mind-blowing. I can't wait until we have everlasting joy with no rude interruptions from our corrupt flesh. But I will say...you were definitely provoked and I probably would have responded the same way. :)