Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Deceptive Feelings

Have you ever had those times when you "feel" as if you are doing nothing right? As if everything you have ever done has been of no consequense. That even those things you are doing are so half-hearted that you figure it will produce absolutely no good fruit? You continue to pray and seek God's face, because without this you crumble, but you wonder, "is it making a difference in the lives of those around you?" Well, let me tell you, don't go by feelings. Our feelings come and go. Our feelings can be so deceptive.

The Lord knows me so well that I guess He figured (He knew) I needed encouragement. He has been encouraging me through precious people whom I love. Comments have been made that have obsolutely touched my heart and made me realize that nothing I do for My Jesus is ever in vain - inspite of my feelings. Proverbs 15:23(b) says, "a word spoken in due season, how good it is!" And Proverbs 25:11 says, "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Our Words can tear and build. How beautiful when our words build and encourage.

So often when we are hurting or discouraged we isolate ourselves and have ourselves a grand pity-party. The enemy of our souls loves this, because then he has us all to himself. He can tear us up and make us miserable. When we isolate ourselves all we hear is our flesh and the enemy telling us how good for nothing we are and how nothing we've done matters. Proverbs 18:1 says, "A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; He rages against all wise judgment." Isolation is devastating. God wants us to fellowship and invest in people who will encourage us or exhort us when need be. By ourselves we are left to our own whim. I love the scripture in Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 that says, "Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

As of late I've experienced this "lifting up his companion". People around me have encouraged me and have blessed me. So don't isolate yourself, let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. HE is the one doing the work and HE is the one who is going to complete it. HIS word is the one that goes forth from HIS mouth; it shall not return to HIM void, but it shall accomplish what HE pleases, and it shall prosper in the thing for which HE sent it. HE who calls you is faithful who also will do it.

Abide in HIM and don't trust in your feelings. Trust HIM and HIS word to us. God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? TRUST HIM...HE IS FAITHFUL, we are not.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I agree with you. That whole first paragraph is me. Thank you for the encouragement from Scripture and also for sharing how the Lord has been strengthening and encouraging you.